Our Travels to the UK and a bit beyond, Part 9 By Diane (hopefully to be supplemented soon by Allan)
Note: The photos used here were chosen to go with this narrative....to see more photos from this trip, go to our home page and click on "England Fall 2009 ”.
2009 - October 29 through November 6 -England
This was one of the shortest of our trips. More or less at catch up trip after Holly’s wedding trip to get us back on schedule. Allan and I flew to London and checked into the Base2Stay in Kensington. A nice little modern hotel in a good neighborhood near the museums. We stayed three nights – using the time to explore and do some brass rubbings at St. Martin in the Fields. We visited Leeds Castle, and Highgate Cemetery – something we’d wanted to do for ages. Then on the Monday, we checked into Fish Court for another four day stay at Hampton Court. We had dinner one night with Ian followed by a trip to his home to see some of his palace memorabilia, and another dinner at Roland and Janet’s home in Epsom – Roly made us a traditional roast lamb dinner which was awesome. We spent the last day visiting Hever Castle with Patrick.
(1) Our dinners with Ian and the Dulakes.
(2) A return trip to beautiful Leeds Castle where the Fall colors were spectacular.
(3) Finally seeing Highgate Cemetery, even though we missed the West Cemetery tour.
(4) Having the sun break through the clouds for a few minutes at Hever Castle. And getting our video camera back after I’d left it sitting on a bench by the Lake.
(1)Leaving our video camera on a bench at Hever Castle.
(2) This trip was too short.
(1) Finding Paddington Bears for Rhys (whose name we didn’t yet know)
(2) Picking up more Royal Jelly at Boots and doing brass rubbings for friends.
This was a short trip, made to "catch ourselves up" from the wedding trip the previous spring.
London, including Highgate Cemetery
Hampton Court Palace, Surrey
Leeds Castle, Maidstone, Kent
Hever Castle, Kent
On to Part 10